Saturday 24 February 2024

Maurice Joins the Family, all 702 cubic inch of him! Update #1

 

Welcome to the 2024 Update / Launch of my neglected blog. On the car front nothing much happened between 2015 and November 2023. The poor old Humber didn’t get any love, (which is now up for sale), just became an ever growing pile of stuff, blankets, rolls of carpet etc, etc. The 1947 Studebaker pick up got an engine freshen up, some head work, new gaskets and a new carb. It’s currently laid up getting a front end rebuild.

But the big news is the addition of Maurice to the stable. (We name our cars based on the name of the previous owner, he didn't look like a Nev, so it would be Morris, but with the monocle windscreen making him look distinguished so we decided on Maurice). I was always fascinated by the 1920’s and ‘30’s aero engine cars and knew the possibility of one being available in Australia was pretty remote. Thus, I started to build the Humber Speedster back in 2013. THEN in November last year I heard of a deceased estate sale happening in Dalby, about 2.5 hrs drive west of Brisbane. I saw some photos of what was for sale and WoW, some large engine cars, I had to go!

A gentleman, by the name of Neville (Nev) Morris had passed and his substantial collection of machinery was being auctioned off. Of particular interest to me were two large engine cars, hand built by Nev. To better explain who Nev was, below is a link to a hot rod magazine article from March 2013.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/neville-morris-custom-creations?fbclid=IwAR0dtaPLcKaZuhCvExYdvmT-THK6GvhQ_kKn_ZbkLp6xGNwAGlB19cVEK7U

I was initially interested in the black car called, ‘SOG’ (Shades of Grey), but a local museum was buying a selection of Nev’s vehicles and inventions to honour him with a permanent display, also I fell in love with the blue car – ‘NOBA’. Which apparently stands for, ‘Not Only But Always’, and old English saying. Nev had a sense of humour as eclectic as his machine collection! I have decided to change its name to, ‘GMC Bearcat’. Why? I hear you ask. While going through Nev’s papers on the car I found a photograph of a 1914 Stutz Bearcat, I guess as his inspiration, so it seemed logical. 

Maurice was hand built by Nev as his tribute to those same aero engine cars that I liked. It's fitted with a GMC 702 cid, (11.5 lt), V12, used in 1960's GMC 7000 series trucks. The gearbox is from a Commer truck and the chassis a Toyota Dyna truck. 

My goal is to get the Bearcat legally registered for road use, this will entail quite a bit of finishing to make it compliant for a Road Worthy Certificate. Plus, there is some maintenance work to be done, a leaking rear axle seal, the brakes don’t work, and a carby (x2) rebuild, oil and filter change.

Joining some car Facebook sites has created a lot of interest with people asking to be kept informed on the progress, so my reason to update my blog to keep people in the loop.

                                     I took this video at the auction before purchasing Maurice.



                                     Now Maurice was safely tucked up in my workshop.

                                                                                                     













No comments:

Post a Comment