Friday, 8 May 2015

Humber Speedster Project - Update # 7 (and other stuff)


Well it’s May 9th, I can’t believe we are nearly half way through 2015 !!!  Where did the time go?  My last update was back in November and because of the really hot and humid weather I haven’t spent much time in the shed since then.  There was also the buyout of a Studebaker parts dealer in Melbourne, (by Studebaker of Australia), so getting the 20 tonnes of parts – (yes two shipping containers with 12 tonnes in one and 8 tonnes in the other), shipped to Brisbane, unpacked and sorted was a monumental job.   Actually Chris Skinner, (my Studebaker partner in crime and fellow whiskey fiend), still have to sort out a lot more, and the National Studebaker Rally in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales over the Easter long weekend was another delay on the Humber. All for a good cause though.  We had a great time at the Stude National, with reputations made and destroyed ;-)

Setting up the 'Studebaker of Aust' stall at the National Rally

The M5 loaded for the trip to Wagga Wagga










On show at the National Rally


Callum & Liam meeting their Great Grand Parents at Warwick on the way back from the Stude Rally 




























During this time I also decided to get my motor bike back on the road, which wasn't without its trials and tribulations. After sitting for two years with a dud fuel pump it had accumulated quite a bit of rust and sludge in the fuel tank, which I didn't see until it had blocked up the new fuel pump on my home from a ride. So off  came the tank AGAIN, to remove dismantle and clean the pump, and tank. After scouring the intent for a tank cleaning procedure I was very dubious of what I found, to say the least. One guy recommended adding methylated spirits and sand!
Inside the fuel tank after 2.5 years.
Inside the fuel tank  after soaking in De-Rust Plus for 48 hrs.
The idea was sloshing around the sand would scour the tank clean. It sounds practical in theory, but how could you be sure you got all the sand out, and if you didn't I'm sure the fuel pump would not like it one bit! It then occurred to me we have a product my company makes to clean heat exchangers Violia !  I filled the tank with the appropriate 7:1 (water to De Rust Plus mix) and left for 48 hours. This wonder product (shameless self plug), not only removes the rust but also pasivates the metal to stop more rust forming. The tank now clean and pasivated, that’s a funny word isn't it, say it slowly with me PAS-i-VATED  ;-) I reassembled the bike, filled with fuel and was on my way, wind my hair and bugs in my teeth ;-)






The float after a soak in De Rust Plus.







The Fuel float after 2.5 years










The National Humber Rally is planned for March 18th 2016, so I've decided to stop procrastinating and get the Humber Speedster finished in time for it's debute. Well, at least to be able to be driven off a trailer under its own power.  As there are a 1001 jobs to do before it’s finished I turned my attention to the supercharger manifolds – yes I am fitting a Rootes type supercharger to Huber` (as he is known affectionately in our house, Huber` the Humber). I only just realised when writing this that the supercharger is of the Rootes design, fitting as Humber was bought by the ‘Rootes Group’ in 1932 the year Huber` was built - interesting coincidence. As with the other jobs building Huber` making the S/C manifolds required a lot of head scratching.
The following photos are of the build process, the next job is fabricating the manifold from the S/C to the cylinder head.
PS. In my last Blog entry I showed the process of rebuilding one of the Luvax rotary stabilators (shock absorbers). On finishing and testing the rebuilt unit I decided they just weren't up to the duty I will put them to at highway speeds, so for safety I am going to fit new modern shocks front and rear.

A rough set up of the supercharger on the Humber engine 
The manifold flanges laser cut by Kilner Engineering., Bulimba.
The 100mm x 50 mm (4"x2") RHS used for the intake manifold
Sectioning the RHS for the 1st bend.
Positioning the carburettor

Cutting out for the bottom flange.
Setting the bottom bend.


Setting up the carb flange section.
Fabrication complete, now the dressing up.






The final finish will be put on during the engine assembly.



No comments:

Post a Comment